NC hits out at govt for continuous lockdown of Jamia Masjid

‘Such actions create hostility among people’

GKNN
Srinagar, Publish Date: Oct 21 2017 12:26AM | Updated Date: Oct 21 2017 12:26AM
NC hits out at govt for continuous lockdown of Jamia MasjidFile Photo

National Conference general secretary Ali Muhammad Sagar on Friday castigated PDP-BJP government for barring Friday prayers in the historic Jamia Masjid in Downtown for four consecutive weeks.

“Stopping people from praying at Jamia Masjid has been the only ‘achievement’ of this government so far. Last year they broke all records by putting the historic masjid under continuous lockdown for 40 Fridays consecutively. Unfortunately the same practice is still going on,” Sagar said in a statement. 

He said restrictions imposed in Downtown with each passing day and barring people from offering Friday prayers is a “glaring example of the failures of this government.”

“Needless to say such actions create hostility and restlessness among the people and will inevitably lead to a situation where people of Shaher-e-Khaas would feel cornered and targeted,” he said.

Meanwhile NC provincial president Nasir Aslam Wani said that the state government has “failed to normalize the current deteriorating situation in Kashmir.”

Addressing a convention of Block Amira Kadal delegates at Nawa e Subah, the Wani said “continuous spree of braid chopping incidents happening across Kashmir is a clear reminder of how bad the situation is and how miserably this government is handling such incidents.”

“Rather than coming up with preventive measures the administration is giving out a confusing signals.”

Asking people to remain vigilant, Wani said, “this government has failed on all fronts. Whether it is development or providing security to the people.”