'60-yr old PaK man killed in cross LoC firing'

"He died on the spot after some time,” the official added. The ISPR also confirmed his death and said that Pakistan army “befittingly responded to silence Indian guns.”

Tariq Naqash
Muzaffarabad, Publish Date: Jun 11 2017 12:37AM | Updated Date: Jun 11 2017 12:37AM
'60-yr old PaK man killed in cross LoC firing'File Photo

On Saturday afternoon, Indian troops resorted to ceasefire violation ‘without any provocation’ in Battal sector of PaK’s  Poonch district, killing an elderly civilian, officials here said.

Shabbir Khan, who was in his late sixties, was busy in some household work in the courtyard of his house in Polas village when the “trigger-happy” Indian soldiers hit him with burst fire at about 2pm, a police official in the area told this correspondent by telephone. 

"He died on the spot after some time,” the official added.  The ISPR also confirmed his death and said that Pakistan army “befittingly responded to silence Indian guns.”

After the latest incident of ceasefire violation, the number of residents of Pakistan administered Kashmir (PaK)  killed in Indian shelling since January this year has risen to nine while another 60 have sustained injuries.

It was in this backdrop, the COAS paid rich tributes to the Kashmiris on both sides of the LoC for their determination against Indian brutalities and reaffirmed Pakistan’s resolve to back their just cause.

“Pakistan will continue its support for right to self-determination to our Kashmiri brothers in India held Kashmir,” he reiterated.

Earlier, the army chief, who was accompanied by Rawalpindi Corps Commander Lt-Gen Nadeem Raza and other senior officials, was given a detailed briefing by a local commander about the operational situation, India ceasefire violations by India and response by Pakistani troops.

 While interacting with troops, the COAS appreciated their state of operational readiness, exemplary high morale and motivation for fulfilment of assigned mission.

“Troops unreservedly shared with the COAS their feelings about Indian atrocities and ceasefire violations, targeting innocent civilians and pledged that no Indian misadventure shall go without a befitting response,” the ISPR said.

Of late both armies have frequently traded warnings against strong retaliatory measures.

Last week, Pakistan army’s Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Maj-Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza had spoken to his Indian counterpart Lt-Gen A.K. Bhatt through a special hotline contact over the recent ceasefire violations from across the LoC.  “Any Indian misadventure from across/along the LoC in any form shall be responded with full force at the time and place of our choosing with onus of responsibility on Indian aggressive behaviour,” the Pakistani DGMO was quoted by the ISPR as having told his Indian counterpart.