Patwaris, Girdawars up in arms against Govt for lack of promotion avenues

Resent Direct Recruitment Of Naib Tehsildars Which ‘Eats Up’ Their Share Of Posts

MUDASIR YAQOOB
Srinagar, Publish Date: Jan 19 2018 12:13AM | Updated Date: Jan 19 2018 12:13AM

Despite Naib Tehsildar post being declared as technical more than three decades back, the Government continues to make direct appointments for the post, denying chances of promotions to hundreds of qualified and experienced girdawars in Jammu and Kashmir.

On 24-12-1985, Naib Tehsildar post alongwith draftsman was declared as technical posts. Accordingly only persons with technical qualification were eligible for appointment against Naib Tehsildar posts. However, despite declaring the post as technical, the government continues to appoint Naib Tehsildars through direct recruitment ignoring hundreds of qualified patwaris and girdawars, who have the said qualifications and experience.

While earlier the minimum qualification as eligibility for the post of Patwari was 10+ 2, which was later amended to Graduation with knowledge of Urdu in 2008, the patwaris continue to suffer as their chances of promotion are hampered due to direct recruitment of Naib Tehsildars.

A Patwari gets promoted as Girdawar after at least 20 years of service. After at least another five years as Girdawar and after qualifying Revenue Services Departmental exam through Public Service Commission (PSC) he becomes eligible for promotion as Naib Tehsildar.

"We have more than 400 qualified girdawars with more than 25 years of experience and having qualified Revenue Services Departmental exam waiting for being promoted as Naib Tehsildars. Most of them are graduates and post graduates. However, as the government appoints Naib Tehsildars directly our chances of promotion are bleak," Fayaz Ahmad Baba, President Patwar Association Kashmir, told Greater Kashmir.

"Naib Tehsildar is a technical post who has to decide revenue cases and perform duties as executive magistrate. He has to act as enquiry/supervising officer for issuing important certificates like PRC, attestation of mutations, land acquisition cases, demarcation of land etc. Such an important post requires a lot of experience and knowledge that can be acquired only when an officer has gained enough experience and that can be acquired only when he is appointed within the revenue department from the lower level hierarchy," he said.

However, Baba said, unfortunately due to the 'unjust' Revenue Subordinate Recruitment Rules there is only 55% promotional quota while the rest of 45% officers are recruited through direct quota.

"A direct recruit Naib Tehsildar only undergoes a crash course of a few months and thus lacks knowledge of Revenue laws and expertise. Through this inexperienced lot, errors occur in settlement operations, attestation of mutations and a huge number of revenue cases remain pending in the courts of Naib Tehsildars," he added.

In Education Department masters were recruited directly till 1998. However, through SRO 338 Notification No: Edu-I/Misc-22/98 on 07-12-1998, the direct recruitment of masters was abolished in Education Department. Afterwards the general line teachers having B. Ed are being promoted as masters.

The patwaris question when direct recruitment can be abolished in other departments, why not in Revenue Department. "The Government must abolish the practice of filling 45% Naib Tehsildar posts through direct recruitment as has been done in the other departments. When you have qualified and experienced staff waiting for promotions, what is the need to go for direct recruitment," asked Baba.

Even those girdawars, who have been promoted as Naib Tehsildars several years back rue their luck. "For the last four years, I am functioning as 'look after Naib Tehsildar.' I am getting the salary of Girdawar and working as 'look after Naib Tehsildar.' I am at loss to understand why more than 300 officers like me are being made to suffer," an officer, wishing anonymity, said.

"To qualify Revenue Services Departmental exam, we have to study criminal law, civil law, settlement rules, land revenue act, standing orders, J&K Constitution and other related subjects. This is in addition to our more than 25 years of service in the Revenue Department. After putting so much of hard work, I am at loss to understand why this injustice with us," he asked.

 

x
This site uses cookies to deliver our services and to show you relevant news and ads. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.That's Fine